Saturday, January 08, 2011

As Iron Sharpens Iron: A Test

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17 ESV)
This verse is, rightly I think, interpreted as a general wisdom that people need the input of each other to hone our hearts and minds in the pursuit of spiritual growth in God. I like the way Matthew Henry wrote it in his commentary:
"One man is nobody; nor will poring upon a book in a corner accomplish a man as the reading and studying of men will. Wise and profitable discourse sharpens men's wits; and those that have ever so much knowledge may by conference have something added to them."
Perhaps the writer of Hebrews had this sort of thing in mind when he wrote:
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:24-25 ESV)
The ESV Study Bible comments on this verse:
"The third and final exhortation in vv. 22–25 calls for serious thinking about other Christians with a purpose to stir up (or “provoke”) them in their love and service (good works). Christian perseverance is thus also a community endeavor."
As Christians, we need other Christians in order to grow in godly wisdom. We need the mental correction of others to keep us from going astray. We need to seek and submit to each other’s correction.

As a Christian, I need interaction with other people. As one with a penchant for thinking outside the box and as one who loves truth above my desire to understand it, and yearn to grow in ministry, I earnestly desire the meaningful interaction of my fellow Christians. My hope has always been to develop the relationships with other Christians necessary for provoking them to grow in their Christian walk as well as receiving the same. I enjoy building others up in Christ as much as anything.

But I need to be built up as well. I blog in order to organize my thoughts. As a non-linear thinker I need to be able to make my thoughts linear in order to communicate them. As one gifted with a certain brand of intelligence, I’m prone to eccentricity. Therefore, it’s necessary to have meaningful feedback if I want to use this gift to edify people.

I’m already aware that few people read my blog articles. It’s extremely rare to receive any feedback from them. I have to consider that there are a few people who may read but never comment. Therefore, I have this request. If you regularly read what I write please leave a comment and let me know how what I write helps you or if I need to pursue some other activity that would be more fruitful. And I want to encourage you that doing so would be exceptionally meaningful. The response I get from this will let me know how important my thought life and spiritual growth is to other people.

To all who respond: thank you in advance.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Truth Unites... and Divides said...

Hi Jim,

I don't often visit your blog, but when I do I always find something edifying.

I've often enjoyed your comments on other blogs.

Peace and blessings,

Truth Unites... and Divides

Thu Jan 13, 10:51:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger The Lueken Family said...

I was looking for something on Matthew Henry RE Iron Sharpens IRon... and I found your blog post more than a year after you posted it. Please know that it has been a blessing to me as I realize that one of the things that is missing in the busy ministry we are involved in is the time to hash over things and discuss our differences and to learn from one another and gain from what the Lord has done in each of us and be changed in the process... Perhaps the reason you do not hear from many is because we are all too busy!!
The Lord bless you and I know as the Lord leads others are blessed by you sharing the things He is doing in your life.

Tue Apr 24, 07:49:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home