Friday, November 10, 2006

The Manhattan Transfer

I had a hankering the other day to hear some Manhattan Transfer. I have several of their albums that I have collected over the years, but they're all in cassette tape format and I don't really have a decent player anymore. I looked up their website and discovered some treats. There are some fun videos of studio sessions. Ahhh, to hear lyrics like, "I'll never cheat on my sugar, 'cause I'm so sweet on my sugar." Or "Hotter than a hundred'n ten in the middle of July. We're sayin' it's hotter than Tobasco or Jamaican fry. If you say that you'll be true; if you say you love me too... if you say you cannot live without me: Nothin', Baby, could be hotter than that."

However, they don't seem to have a snippet of my favorite of theirs. They did an a cappella arrangement of "A nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" that is perhaps my favorite romantic song. I was fortunate to be able to perform the bass line of this arrangement with TMT's well-known close harmonies in a quartet in college some 21 years ago. Here are the lyrics I remember for any who don't yet know this chart:


A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

That certain night,
The night we met,
There was magic abroad in the air.
There were angels dining at the Ritz,
And a nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

It may be right,
It may be wrong,
But I'm perfectly willing to swear:
That when you turned and smiled at me
A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

The moon that lingered over London town:
Poor puzzled moon, he wore a frown.
How could he know we two were so in love,
The whole wide world seemed upside down?

The streets of town
Were paved with stars;
It was such a romantic affair;
And when we kissed and said goodbye,
A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home