Saturday, February 10, 2007

In Honor of Nurses

I mentioned my dad's surgery in the last post. He is yet recovering in the hospital, but is rather uncomfortable in these initial stages. My brother and I were staying with him last night and the bed was adjusted to where he could sit up somewhat. However, he had gradually slid down and needed to be scooted back up.

He grunted from under his neck brace, "Boys, I need one of you on each side. Grab hold and pull me up on three: One... Two... Three..."

We tugged, but were unable to budge him.
He's a big guy.

"Okay, okay, it's not going to work," Dad grunted. "Go get the troops."

My brother went out and came back with three petite nurses. They gathered around and moved him like it was nothing.





A little while later Dad said
, "If I would have known it would be like this, I might have reconsidered having the surgery. I hope there's a lesson in this for you."

My brother nodded and said, "Yeah. If I ever think about having surgery like this, I'll remember what you're going through."

Dad grunted back a slow, "Yeah."

I replied, "I would have thought that the lesson would have been that three little old nurses could best two big fellows like us."

My brother replied, "I know that when I see them coming down the hall, I'm going to step to the side."


God bless nurses.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home