Thursday, October 18, 2007

What Do You Covet?

I was in a conversation last night where a woman I know confessed to buying a lot of white shirts and blouses. "You never know when you'll need a white shirt," she said. She asked me if I had a type of something I bought frequently and I couldn't think of anything.

As I ponder this yet, I think of the commandment(s) not to covet. We are commanded not to covet that which has been given to others. There are things that we can covet that are okay to covet. I have heard the phrase "I covet your prayers" more than once. I think the positive of the commandment is that we should be satisfied with what we have been given and should not envy what others have been given. That said, I think I know what I covet most. I'll give my answer in my next post. For now, I'll ask the few who frequent my page:

What do you covet?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lionel Woods said...

I covet my children. They are the Lords, but I sometimes want to protect them or to cocerned about their saftey versus having a steward mentality. I got my roles crossed brother.

Sat Oct 20, 02:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jim Pemberton said...

Thanks, Lionel. I've noticed you have a heart for repentance, brother. I would tend to think that a concern for my children's safety is a sign of good stewardship. I suppose it could be taken to an unhealthy extreme. For example, a certain amount of germs are good thing to build up one's immune system, yet some parents make things so clean their children become sick or develop allergies too easily. In martial arts, it is a good thing to learn how to take hits so you can be tough enough to defend yourself. I'm not sure precisely where the line should be, but you've given me something to think about there.

Sat Oct 20, 05:56:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home