Thursday, January 10, 2008

Using God’s Gifts for God’s Glory – A Conundrum

I’m depressed. It happens and I get over it. Right now I’m tempted to bore whoever chances to read this with all the less-than-fully-rational machinations that my mind undergoes to contrive an object of blame for my depression, but I won’t do that. For all I know, it’s just another phase of the moon. Nevertheless, I’m duly motivated to ask a question for which I have no answer, even in moments more pleasant than this.

God has granted us each certain spiritual gifts. He has also provided for the development of skills and talents to use to His glory. Furthermore, according to His sanctification, he provides a certain level of desire to use these gifts to His glory. I have gifts, skills, talents and desire each in abundance. However, I’m frustrated by an apparent lack of venue to use these gifts to God’s glory. So my question is:

Why would God give gifts and the desire to use these gifts to His glory and yet close the doors for doing so?

One may speculate that there is some hidden sin. I certainly confess that I am a sinner. I also see plenty of other sinners able to use their gifts for the glory of God. Does anyone have an answer to this conundrum?

…I almost feel better just for asking.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Pemberton said...

Good question bro. Is there an answer? Well, the typical sunday school answer would be "not in our time but His time". Easily said, but most often not easily accepted. I hear your frustration bro. It's almost like holding a handful of money in your hand and can't spend it. Obviously we're talking more than simple temporal things, but eternal purposes. God fully knows your hearts desire and He has given you wonderful gifts which He will use when the time is right. Sometimes when I get in the same jam, I think about the field goal kicker who plays maybe 60 seconds of the football game. Most of the time he's sitting on the bench, simply waiting for his chance to get in the game. Often he feels useless, but believe it or not he is the one who leads the team in scoring. A 60 minute game, he plays maybe 1-2 minutes and leads the rest of the team in total points scored. The top three NFL players (and maybe more) scorers are kickers.

Remember to focus that your self-worth has already been defined by Christ. Don't let your circumstances dictate how you feel about yourself. Take the focus off yourself and on Christ. Trust that He will use you as it aligns with His Will (not with our will). And stop comparing yourself to others. That'll drive you batty. :)

Love ya bro!
Mark

Thu Jan 10, 01:22:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jim Pemberton said...

Thanks, bro. You are correct, of course. I like the football analogy. Sometimes it seems like entire games or even seasons go by without the need for this field goal kicker. Often, I don't receive the encouragement or the confirmation I need to be certain that my bench-warming has an eventual purpose. I kick into the net on the sidelines and the game goes on without me.

Fri Jan 11, 10:22:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wrestling with the same issue currently in my life Jim. That is usually the predictament we find ourselves in especially if we belong to a church that is gifted from top to bottom. I was thinking the same thing. Like to emloy my gifts do I need to go into fulltime ministry or go to seminary or should I sit back and stack chairs waiting for my chance. I don't know but God has given them to me (at least I think) and I want to use them. We will see.

Tue Jan 15, 04:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jim Pemberton said...

Thanks, Lionel. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in this struggle.

Tue Jan 15, 04:42:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home