Thursday, February 14, 2008

Something Light for V-Day

For many years I had a difficult time understanding members of the fairer gender. Here are a couple of examples recently found in the comics:





Earlier in my life I was baffled by the fact that the girls I knew claimed to want nice guys and would pursue bad boys. Perhaps they didn’t know that nice guys were watching and saw that their actions didn’t comport with what they said. In the BC strip it’s a good thing the guy keeps walking. The girl doesn’t really want him. She only wants him to give her the opportunity to have the upper hand. In Peanuts, Violet doesn’t like either Pig Pen or Charlie Brown and is confronted with the need to raise the bar from one to the next so that she is justified in her preferences.

Aren’t we all a little bit like this? We all need love, but we tend to give it rather conditionally. What we don’t realize is that people are often watching. It's nice to give love unconditionally, although you still don't know who is watching.

My wife, Lois, is in Alabama this week with the kids and Ised, our missionary from Venezuela, so my V-Day will be spent working on a project… alone. Sunday night after the church service several people were talking afterwards. I forgot I was in church and spoke one of my love languages to Lois. My love languages are affection and words of affirmation. (Lois’ love language is service.) Anyway, many of the Venezuela team were standing around talking to Ised, and Lois and I were standing a short ways off getting ready to pack everything and everyone up and go home. Lois had turned with her back to me and I reached around her shoulders from behind and gave her a peck on the neck. I heard a series of hoots and whistles from the team. You never know who’s paying attention.




Happy Valentine’s Day!!!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home