Sunday, March 23, 2008

Old Photos - Road Trip West to the Youth Gathering: 1961

The summer after my mom returned from serving as a missionary and before she left for college, there was a big gathering of youth from the Church of the Bretheren out west. My grandparents took the opportunity to take my mom and aunt Ann on a road trip and see some great American sights.

This one should be familiar:


Yellowstone Park was also on the agenda:


I've always been fascinated by these pools:


The Badlands were also on the agenda:


Farmers could not afford to spend a week or more living in hotels. They camped along the way.


This nice family from Indiana also had the same idea. Yes, in those days a family of seven could share the space of a pickup camper and be happy about it:


Did I say this was a big gathering? How do you get all those people to stand in such orderly lines?


...and they gathered:

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Pemberton said...

Whoa! Dude, I remember these, but don't recall if I have them. Are these photos you scanned? Would love a copy.

Mon Mar 24, 09:33:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Jim Pemberton said...

Bro, these are from Mom's slides. Yes, you scanned them and burned CDs for me. You should still have the slides.

Mon Mar 24, 09:55:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home